Who Am I - This work was inspired by N Madhavan, a person with Autism and is on understanding people like him.

I am not indifferent jus different.
I may not talk, but I DO communicate.

I don't look at you to 'see'
But I glance through when you blink.

I don't stop 'babbling' to LISTEN
Sometimes even if I am quiet, I cant HEAR.

If I laugh at you, smile back
I may learn to reciprocate the courtesy someday !

When I cry help ONLY, if you know the reason
Or just leave me alone, thats much better.

I may get up in between dont shout "NO"
Perhaps I just want to close the door !

I throw a tantrum, not to avoid the activity
Only to indicate to you, I am not prepared.

I know a lot on my own
Dont underestimate me if I didnt say "I KNOW"

You can set goals that are 'idealistic'
I wont learn if your teaching is unrealistic.

Prepare me for ANY change, even the UNEXPECTED
For my behaviour would be much better.

I need to 'plan a lot' to follow your commands
Wait a little longer.....than your patience level
Before you repeat and scream.

Too many prompts make me dependent
Too little prompts lead me nowhere.

The more you control, the more I resist.
You are BIG, I am small.
It's unfiar to take advantage.

Lets give and take.
If YOU care for MY sake.

Listen to me when I don't talk.
Be with me even if you can't stand anymore.

I would understand your good intentions.
Though I may not express it AS YOU DO !!

* Deepa is a young special educator at the "WE CAN" School for Children with Autism in Chennai.

1 comment:

pekose said...

speechless......